Old July 19th 06, 08:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
[email protected] aadu.adok@gmail.com is offline

Default could VFO frequency be below IF ?

hi,

I'm experimenting with my superhet. My IF is 8mhz (cause I have 8 mhz
crystals for IF filter). I first experimented on 40m. VFO was 15mhz. At
design time I'm using 3 meters long wire as an "antenna" (and I'm
sitting in my basement). I heard different european stations (EA5FKX,
RW6XE, UR4GI etc) which are several thousand km-s away. Pretty amazing
for such "antenna"!

So I decided to go for 20m band. I had an option to set my VFO either
to 6mhz or 22mhz. I first went with 6mhz. But for my disappointment I
heard nothing but the band noise.

So I'm confused now - is it because the short "antenna" or am I wrong
thinking that VFO 6mhz + IF 8mhz should give me 14mhz?

any ideas?