Old July 19th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Arthur Arthur is offline

Default Newbie Question: PC Based Oscilloscopes

wrote:

I haven't touched RF test and measurement equipment for about 20 years.
Back then I used a standard 50MHz dual trace scope. I want to get
back into homebrewing, and was wondering whether anyone could advise me
on buying PC based 'scopes. Do they have the same "look and feel" as a
dedicated 'scope?

There appear to be many such PC based scopes (e.g. Vellman), I was
wondering what homebrewers would advise, given the "average" budget
(not 10,000 Dollars + !!). Something with a pretty good Spectrum
Analyser built in?

Or would I be better off going to Ebay and buying an old dual trace
scope for 100 Euros or so?

Advice anyone?

You might want to check how much RF your PC is leaking first.

Also check to see if the software can be run directly off a CD
without installing anything on your HD. My PC has enough
to do already. I prefer a dedicated time-based oscilloscope.
RF spectrum analyzers are expensive cupholders, nice to have
but ... well, if someone gave one to me for free I wouldn't complain.