Old July 19th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] miso@sushi.com is offline

Default Winradio g313e and Flex-Radio SDR-1000 Compared

Guy Atkins wrote:
Hi Brian,

Neither the Winradio or Flex-Radio models have any attenuation in the
mediumwave range, nor on any other band that I know of. I do know the
Flex-Radio folks clearly state "full sensitivity" throughout it's frequency
range, and in some forum postings their representatives have mentioned "no
attenuation" on any frequency a few times in the 2+ years I've followed the
SDR-1000's development. My experience bears this out.

During the comparison, John and I also did some checks in the tropical
bands, and found the radios very, very similar on those frequencies too. In
fact, at home I use the SDR-1000 much more for tropical band DXing than I do
for medium wave, as the trans-Pacific stations are not heard regularly here.
I'll mention, though, that once in a while I find my modded ICOM R-75 more
sensitive on a DX signal, but the SDR-1000 often has better copy due to the
cleaner sounding reproduction. Then there are rare times that the R-75 is
clearly the winner on HF. It never hurts to have more than one receiver and
more than one antenna around!

Miso-- my comparisons to the ICOM R-75 are here and there throughout the
blog. Two to look up, however, are from March 26th and April 16th, 2006.

Regarding the ALA 100 loop: if I recall, Andy didn't think more than 3 turns
would be of any benefit. I don't think he mentioned any max. total wire
length. I wasn't planning on using more than 50 feet, as that's around the
maximum recommended for a large single-turn loop (non-rotating :^) The
nice thing about the ALA 100 model is the flexibility for experimenting with
various shapes and dimensions. The new ALA 100s also have a higher dynamic
range/IP3 preamplifier than the older Wellbrook models like the ALA 1530.

No, the bad thing about the ALA 100 is the flexibility. Dammit, I keep
fiddling and fiddling with it. ;-)

Is Andy Ikins email address a secret? I don't see it on the website.

73,

Guy

"Brian Denley" wrote in message
. ..
It would be nice to see a comparison of shortwave comparison as some
receivers are intentionally attenuated in the MW band.