Old July 21st 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Question for You Grounding Gurus

On 20 Jul 2006 16:12:56 -0700, "Brian Kelly" wrote:

I have to transport four U.S. standard 5/8" dia x 8' long ground rods
35 miles in my four door compact car. Do not want to carry them on the
roof. If I cut them to six feet long I can load them inside the car.
Ignoring any code compliance issues would there be any reason the
shortened rods would not work as well as full-length rods for purposes
of ligtning protection and the usual HF station RF grounding? Soil here
is probably very conductive (damp heavy loam). Thanks.

In this part of the world one can buy joiners for the rods. The idea
would be you cut them in two, then when you install them, drive the
first rod, put the joiner on, place the second rod in the joiner,
drive it etc. That's how rods of tens of metres are driven in.

Maybe those joiners are available from you electrical contractors
suppliers.

Owen

Brian w3rv