Old July 21st 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Andrew VK3BFA Andrew VK3BFA is offline

Default Microwave oven transformers

AndyS wrote:
Andy writes:

I have been thinking about building a high voltage power supply
for a big amp, and am toying with the idea of using a couple of
microwave oven transformers, which I have on hand.

I plan to use two, with the primaries connected in parallel but
opposing, so that each one will supply voltage, half-wave, to a
diode ring. By doing this, I can have each core grounded like it
is used in the ovens....

So, has anyone else done this and run into any problems that
I may not have forseen ?

Thanks,
Andy

Drew VK3XU had an article in AR magazine recently about this - he used
2 of them, the primaries in series, the secondaries in //. He removed
the magnetic shunts. With effectively half supply on each one, they
didnt go into saturation but maintained full output voltag. He lifted
the ground wire of the secondaries to frame - this was supposed to be a
big no no, but his experiments showed there was no breakdown to earth,
he then used a bridge rectifier on the resultant // secondaries...got
good results,......

Andrew VK3BFA.