Old July 21st 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Kirk Kirk is offline

Default toroid cores?

I soldered fets with a max V gate to source of 10 volts with no prob.
The trick is to wrap the leads together with some bare 30 guage and
then after soldering remove the 30 guage.
Use a grounded iron and set the pcb on a sheet of aluminum foil with
470k - 1 meg to ground
the resistor is to save you if you touch something leaky and the foil
at the same time - like a bad scope or something.
Kirk
KC7THL

Hi,

My luck (quite some time ago) with FETs was not nice either. Someone may have to
correct my, yet the only way I think one can get away with fiddling with the
things the way most people construct, might be to use zener diodes between the
gate and source and drain. Once its all together and apparently functioning one
probably could remove them then with less worry about then getting a little
static jolt and ruining the junction. Tubes are a lot more forgiving.

Sincerely,

Gregory D. MELLOTT