Old July 22nd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hank Zoeller Hank Zoeller is offline

Default Aluminum tubing for vertical antenna

wrote:
The windload on a piece of tubing of a given height is proportional to
the radius, but the stiffness of a piece of tubing is proportional to
the fourth power of radius.

Thanks, Dan, this is really useful info -- just what I was looking for.

What do you think of having the bottom 12 feet be 2" diameter by 0.25"
thick tubing? If I went up another say 16 feet with 0.059 thick tubing
properly telescoped do you think I'll need guy ropes?

I've been thinking of overlapping the thin tubing in such a way that
there would always be two layers of it for the entire length of the
antenna. It would seem to me it would be much stronger without
increasing the wind loading at all.

Thank you for your insights.
--
73, Hank