Old July 22nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hank Zoeller Hank Zoeller is offline

Default Aluminum tubing for vertical antenna

Rick wrote:
How are you planning on mounting the alum. tubing at ground level?
And what, if any, means are you considering to provide for tipping it
over?

I haven't yet decided how I'm going to mount this thing. Now, I'm
leaning toward (pun intended) a larger size of tubing than I initially
thought. Once I make a final determination on the tubing size then I'll
turn my attention to the mount.

Fortunately, I have a machine shop so I ought to be able to fabricate
something worthy.

As to the detuning, I'm not concerned at all about resonance as I'll
have a 1-kw antenna coupler mounted at the base of the vertical. I
would be concerned about other effects so I'll likely make the mount
with as small an electrical footprint as possible.

The fold-over idea is good. I think I'll probably make two of these
things, one about 30 feet high and another about 16 feet high for the
upper HF bands. It would be cool to be able to switch them out easily..
--
73, Hank