Old July 23rd 06, 01:33 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
clfe clfe is offline

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

"clfe" wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in message
Ya, and you're not a 'real' bowler either unless you have a $500 bowling
ball.

And you're not a 'real' fisherman until you've caught a Marlin off the
coast of Mexico either.

It's only a hobby. If you don't like it, pick another one!

You use what you can afford. I bought my first ham set up for like $50
used - it was all I could afford at the time AND I had to fabricate some
things to boot. I got my feet wet with it and it kept me interested. Not
everyone can afford the "best". It doesn't mean they're any less of a
hobbiest in that particular field. "I" do not try to keep up with the
Jones' as they say. IF my friend comes home with a brand new radio - it
doesn't mean I'll run out to buy one. Same with a bowling ball, etc. That
NEW radio, bowling ball, fishing (equipment) / expedition, hunting rifle -
isn't going to promise a damned thing. Human intervention "still" counts.
Take astronomy as a hobby...... there are bigger and better(?) telescopes
supported by large universities or other groups. Still - many finds are
done with the smaller back yard telescopes. It's not the size - the cost
that count. The "user" has to do something to make it count. AND in many
cases - be it finding a rare station on the bands, an asteroid, bowling
all strikes, etc........ LUCK has a hell of a lot to do with it. Even the
best in esperience and equipment - fail - sometimes.

Given a choice between a new H.F. rig and either an old boat anchor OR a
homebrew rig to make a contact with, I'd pick the latter - hands down. It
tends to give you a tad more pride using such old equipment that maybe you
repaired or bought cheap OR built from scratch. Personally, I had an HW
101 and now have a TS440S (bought new when offered). If the Heathkit had
as many bells and whistles as the Kenwood - only in the extra bands - I'd
take it hands down. I love the audio of the tube radios over the newer
radios. The Kenwood had an Autotuner - I could tune the Heath with an
outboard tuner faster than that dumb autotuner did the Kenwood - in many
cases. Point being, those older radios are not as sophisticated as the new
stuff, but they sure still performed. Being new, being eh - better(?)
isn't what it is always about. And even the homebrew stuff, be it solid
state OR tube - when it comes alive with audio out of the speaker - or
putting out that first signal over the air waves - there is no better
feeling.

You have a ham license and buy a used rig - you're a ham. Buy a used
bowling ball, go bowling as often as possible - you're a bowler. Go
fishing as often as possible even with a $10 fishing pole, you're a
fisherman. Pitch a tent with a sheet over a line - you're a camper. Too
many people worry about "impressing" others. Do you do code? IF so, is it
at 5 wpm or 60? WHO CARES - you're enjoying the hobby at your own level.

lou-ka3flu

Code - CW........ a big argument over someone doing it or not........ WHY?
When I got into Ham, I got into CW for a while, but then as now, I'm NOT in
love with it. At that time, RTTY (Radio Teletype - for those who may not
know) was still fairly big. Packet came in as did other modes. I "tried"
RTTY - to me, as CW/Code is to some of you - it was BORING. You could also
argue how RTTY could save a life. Any mode "could" under the right
conditions. Someone may be aware of a situation and have had ONLY an RTTY
machine - send the message to another with other equipment who then gets the
help enroute to help the distressed. Let's say someone in a lighthouse seen
a sinking ship and they only had the RTTY working. So - yes it may be far
fetched but show how a "single" mode "could" "help" save a life. To bring it
all together - again I say - you use what you have and to your level. IF you
help save a life - congradulations. If you merely spend a quiet evening
getting enjoyment out of it, more power to you. I would have found packet
boring too, but it was before the internet got going hot and heavy - and it
allowed me to get and receive "typed" messages to my friends who were
licensed and so equipped.- just like e-mail for those of you who aren't
familiar with packet. Pick a mode, try it - if ya like it - use it. If not,
try another one. To each - his/her own.