Old July 23rd 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
John - KD5YI John - KD5YI is offline

Default Microwave oven transformers

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
John - KD5YI wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Using 1/2 wave rectification on each one will result in big DC currents
in the coils. These DC currents will saturate your cores like nothing
else.

Hey, Tim -

IIRC, there is only one diode attached to the transformer in my microwave.
That would mean it is half-wave rectified as it comes from the factory. Yes?

Cheers,
John

No. Its actually a full wave voltage doubler - the tube itself is used
as a diode.

Ah! Right you are, Andrew. I had forgotten about that. That makes Tim
Wescott correct, too, about DC in the winding.

Good catch.

John