Old July 23rd 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein Al Klein is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:25:46 GMT, Cecil Moore

The requirements for an amateur radio license have been all over the
map over the history of the service. The ORIGINAL amateur radio
license had no Morse Code Exam, even when Morse Code was the only means
of communicating.

Therein lies the solution to the problem. Make A1 the
only mode allowed within amateur radio - solves all
the problems, doesn't it? No more mode arguments, no
more band crowding, no more expensive equipment, ...
The list of advantages is virtually endless.

The disadvantages are too. No playing with digital modes. No
innovations. No new inventions by hams. And, I have to admit, my CW
has gotten a bit rusty - I doubt I could send readable code at much
over 15wpm these days. I can still copy faster than that, though.