Old July 23rd 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default IBOC Crap News

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
Jerk

I have built, managed and programmed AMs for the last 42 years.
The decline is technology based, and can be corrected... with
technology.

Nothing wrong with the technology, 'tard boy. AM (MW) comes in just
fine here. And it comes in even better without the HD/IBOC QRM.

There is everything wrong with the technology. It sounds so inferior
that nobody who "grew up" on FM will touch it, as it is irritating.
Two generations now have no use for AM. The only users, like you, are
old farts who do not look at the future or have lost most of their
hearing.

I don't know where you are coming from on this. I grew up listening to
FM and AM and I think AMBCB sounds just fine.

The fact that you are on this group means you are not an average listener.

I don't see my being above average as important to this discussion.

I have posted data from a variety of US markets, as well as national
averages. Again: in 12-34 year old listeners, in LA, the total share for AM
is less than the indvidual station shares for the 6 highest rated FMs. 6%.
Nearly nobody. AM may sound good to you, but to nearly everyone under 45, it
is presently irrelevant and sucks.

AMBCB has good fidelity and so does FM. AMBCB is not stereo but I
don't care as I listen to talk radio and news on that band. I don't
spend much time with FM. Generally I listen to AMBCB, short wave,
and spend time on the Internet for news.

I don't think it is the sound as much as FM is in stereo.

The problem is just that. Only talk shows and such get on AM, because
anything else that requires fidelty will not work. Talk appeals to a very
old audience, and in many cases, it is getting harder and harder to sell.

There are a number of AM stations playing music but I don't listen to
them. There are news stations like KNS besides the talkers.

This is what is bothering me about the move to HD. The move is supposed
to be an improvement but it does not seem that way to me. The move to HD
is just going to cost me money, not make an improvement, and change my
listening in ways I don't want. It's a lousy deal for me to spend money
I don't need to spend to keep getting what I already have. Same problem
for DRM on short wave.

DRM is an effort to make SW relevant, just as HD is for MW, to newer
generations that are looking for digital quality (in developed nations) and
at least FM quality in others.

DRM is a way just like IBOC for the broadcasters to gain more control
over the listeners. I expect that digital modes on the AM and FM will
change to a subscription service. It will start with only some channels
being a premium service and the rest free advertiser supported but
eventually all will be subscription.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California