Old July 24th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default Attic antenna: rotator upside-down work?

BB From: Bob B.
BB Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:33120

BB Hello...

BB Will an antenna rotator like a Radio Shack or Channel Master work if
BB hung upside-down from a roof beam, or should I try to come up with a
BB way to secure it to the attic floor?

BB I know rotators are designed to handle a certain weight, but I can't
BB guess at what they'd do with a "negative" weight...

BB The antenna I'm looking to rotate is a Channel Master 8-bay bowtie.
BB (CM4228)

I did it years ago with a 4-bay bowtie -- lighter, obviously, than your
8-bay, but I had not a bit of trouble over several years.

I was at Ft. Meade, MD, near Baltimore. I connected two antennas in the
attic -- close, so they'd interact -- one VHF aimed toward DC and one UHF
hanging upside down on a rotor. I rotated for UHF as needed, and used the
UHF antenna to cancel ghosts on VHF. The whole stupid thing was a success
the first time -- entirely by accident. I had envisioned a WHO-O-O-LE lot
of trial-and-error, but none was needed. And the rotor did not die in about
two years of daily use.