Old September 7th 03, 04:46 PM
Bill Janssen

Tom Tillander wrote:

My Kenwood TS440S is beginning to present symptoms (frequency drift and
intermittent dots in the display) of PLL unlock. Service Bulletins at
Kenwood.net suggest that replacing a fist full of diodes with new diodes of
any of these types : 1S2588,1SS91S, BA282 will cure the problem.
Additionally, I have heard that 1S1587 diodes can be used. However, I have
been unable to find a source for these parts that will send or sell me just
a fist full. I haven't tracked down the manufactures of all the parts.
However, the BA282 seem to be made by Vishay.

Can any of you recommend a supplier for any of these parts? Thanks

Frequency drift is probably not the diodes. There have been problems
with one of the voltage controlled oscillators. The only problem I
know of with the diodes is when one band goes bad.

I sent my TS-440s in for repair and they replaced a few components
(not diodes) and it has been OK for a few years now.

Bill K7NOM