Old July 25th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
SparkySKO SparkySKO is offline

Default Installing a 102" in the roof?

I was might tempted by the 102" whip, or some other equally long
antenna, as it's definetly the king of obnoxious, however, I had some
concerns with installing this into a pickup. How the heck do you
install a roof mount that's strong enough to not rip out the sheet
metal in your roof?!. Heck if I push my hand on my roof, it dents in
(not permanently), and there's a second piece of sheet metal about 1/2
inch or so below that one. I'd like to install a roof mount, but it
just doesn't seem like there'd be anything you could do to make this
really strong. Those ball mounts looked the most promising, but even
those have reports of leaking and rusting through.... Has anyone here
actually mounted an antenna on the roof, what were your results? Was
your sheet metal thin?