Old July 25th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod jawod is offline

Default QST's Louisiana Loop

test wrote:
jawod wrote:

I am considering building the Louisiana loop shown in this month's
QST. It is basically an inverted delta loop. I don't know if I can
model it on EZNEC (I guess I can...but I've only progressed through a
dipole or two).

I actually intend to string it up among some trees in the backyard in
a sort of temporary fashion.

Realizing the directionality involved, I will aim it toward Asia over
Alaska.

Now, any caveats or recommendations or ? before I embark on my first
antenna build?

I don't at present even know the feedpoint impedance but I intend to
use RG8U for feedline if that's possible. There is no mention of an
UNUN or Balun in the article.

What do youse think? Thinks?

John
AB8WH

PS, I'll give the hoberman sphere a rest for a while (hi)

This antenna was meant to be fed as a multiband antenna using open wire
feedline and a tuner.

Its height dependent. The takeoff angle on 20 is high. I myself would
use a dipole with open wire feedline. However the authors intentions was
for a compact multiband antenna. If you have trees use the large loop
as in the ARRL antenna handbook.

For a better antenna that feeds with open wire line and that has a ideal
low angle pattern on all band from 20 meters to 10. Look at the
horizontal magnetic slot antenna. You can find details in the latest
RSGB handbook.

A good tuner for these antennas is the Balanced Tuner by Measures.

Pat

Pat,
Thanks for the input.
I have a question.

Why do you say that the antenna was meant to be fed using open wire
feedline?

In the article, it shows an SO239 bulkhead to be attached to RG8U cable.

John
AB8WH