Old July 27th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] w8ji@akorn.net is offline

Default High voltage switch/relays for antenna?

TF3KX wrote:

Any comments or suggestions?

I assume you are going to switch the loop for lowest band into a bent
dipole, and close the relay on higher bands.

You might consider a trap, because a relay would have to be very
special at any power level. You are deealing with much more than twice
the voltage at the ends of a normal dipole from contact to contact.

I think your only hope for a relay is a high voltage vacuum relay with
wide terminal spacing and good coil insulation. One of the large high
voltage glass vacuum relays would be best.

It might be possible to build a trap and adjust antenna length so it
would work, but the trap would have to be very special in construction.
It may not be practical.

73 Tom