Old July 27th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default grounding question

Mike wrote:
I have a discone antenna on my roof and the mast is grounded to the
earth with #8 solid wire with a ground rod.
I want to use lmr-400 wire for app 50 ft to the scanner. Is it
necessary to install the cable with an in-line arrestor ? I hate to
have to add more connectors if it isnt necessary...I always unplug the
scanner from my cable, rg-58, when Im not using it.....Any
thoughts.....Thanks Mike

Well, it's up to you. An arrester is going to be safer than
no arrester, but if you are unplugging, maybe you don't need
it . But even then, that depends if you actually throw the coax
outside when not in use. If you do, maybe you can get by,
assuming you never forget to unplug. But if you are just unplugging
and leaving it in the room, I'd for sure have an arrester.
You do not want an unprotected direct path to the house interior..
No bueno! I don't use arresters, but I'm cheap, and I always
ground the unused coax's *outside* to a strip of grounded SO-239's.
My mast is grounded well also. I've taken two direct strikes that
I'm aware of, and have had no damage at all to anything. Most goes
to ground at the mast, and whatever is left on the feedlines goes to
ground at the window ground. Both grounds are tied together and are
the same appx potential. Some energy does go to ground at the window.
I can hear it arc on mast strikes, or sometimes even close indirect
strikes.
You wouldn't really want that in the house with you unprotected.
MK