Old July 27th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default High voltage switch/relays for antenna?

TF3KX wrote:
Hello:

I am contemplating constructing an antenna where a center-fed HALF WAVE
will be bent in a loop, only to be isolated at the almost-touching ends
by a relay or some other means of a remotely controlled switch. When
the relay contacts are open I will have very high RF voltages between
the contacts, probably "a few KV" or even more. Are there any
suggestions on where I could find a relay, if any, for this? Or any
other means for doing this? An additional constraint is that the
switching device needs to be light and small (say, 1-2 oz or 20-50
grams). Some ideas I have come up with a

- A small vacuum relay (supplier, type?).
- A home-made relay, providing more contact spacing than usually
available.
- A DC-motor (toy-type) driven mechanism to open and close contacts.
- A mercury switch that could be tilted to make or break the contacts.
- A string-operated switch to open and close the contacts (would run up
the antenna mast).

Any comments or suggestions?

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX

Dunno.. I used to use 24 volt relays that normally are used for
fan motors, etc, but I never fed at a high voltage point. I did run
a lot of power though. They always worked fine, but who knows
with a real high potential.. Might arc over.. I've heard tell of one
kinda weird method that supposably will work. I've never tried it
though. You run a line of coax from that open point on the antenna,
to the shack, and use a switch on the end of the coax to open
and close. Like I say, I've never tried it myself, so it' may or
may not work...
MK