Old July 27th 06, 12:03 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Tim Tim is offline

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

You know, this is the attitude that has kept me from being a licensed ham
operator. I have DX'ed for years, but find most of the operators to be smug
asses who want to keep the hobby to themselves. I have no need to learn
code, or more importantly, no desire. So you old fossils keep your exclusive
little club and watch as it dies out with rotary telephones and vacuum
tubes. Every ham I have met in person has been secretive and not at all
willing to help anyone out. I sold a scope to one a few years back and in
our conversation asked a few questions about becoming a ham. He was not
willing to answer questions nor offer any advice, just for me to get an arrl
book. He wouldn't even tell me what the repeater frequencies were for the 2
meter in our area. So, lets make the passing score 98%, 50wpm, and renew all
classes every year. That ought to drive out the rest of 'em and keep you,
Mr. Slow Code, as the king of all hams, even if you have no subjects to
reign over.
Come to think of it, I can talk to people all over the world via internet,
send packets and slow scan tv, so why worry about propagation and antennae?
"Slow Code" wrote in message
nk.net...
Just thought you should know that.

Help save Ham radio and ignore Markie to save
usenet. Thanks

1- No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class every ten years.

2- The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

3- Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

4- Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

5- Cancel your ARRL membership until they decide to work to improve
things and stop them from proposing ham radio that is like CB.