Old July 28th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David David is offline

Default Interesting article on fading distortion

On 27 Jul 2006 17:09:16 -0700, "N9NEO"
wrote:

Terry, Frank, et al.

And David, what was that comment about the Drake receivers? Do you
know what type of filters they use?

''The R8 IF filters
hark back to the models 1, 2 and early R4,
is they are LC tuned circuits, not crystal
filters. Crystal filters have gotten more
expensive over the years (is the world
running out of quartz, too?), and apparently
LC filters are now more cost-effective.
Some receiver users claim that LC filters
provide better audio response for listening
to broadcast stations. From a performance
standpoint, I wouldn’t have known the R8
had I.C. filters if I hadn’t read about them
in the Owne r 's Manual.''

http://www.dproducts.be/drake_museum/qst-r8.pdf