Old July 29th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Glenn Møller-Holst Glenn Møller-Holst is offline

Default adaptive beamforming

Glenn Møller-Holst wrote:

john wrote:

I came across a reference about adaptive beamforming in the ARRL
Handbook. The reference was from QEX which I don't yet subscribe to.

Anyone care to explain/discuss this neat concept?

John
AB8WH

Hi John

Look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamforming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipl...ultiple-output

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_aperture_radar

Glenn

Found this illustative article about beamforming:

How to create beam-forming smart antennas using FPGAS:
http://www.embedded.com/showArticle....cleID=60401726
Quote: "...The adaptive process permits narrower beams and reduced
output in other directions, significantly improving the
signal-to-interference-plus-noise ratio (SINR). With this technology,
each user's signal is transmitted and received by the base station only
in the direction of that particular user. This drastically reduces the
overall interference in the system..."

Glenn