Old July 29th 06, 09:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Shortwave Listening (SWL) : Active Antenna ? -or- Wire Antenna ?

David wrote:
On 28 Jul 2006 13:02:14 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

SD,

For Shortwave Listening (SWL) what you would spend on an
Active Antenna; you could buy a good 'passive' Wire Antenna.
* Your Location {Region} and Weather can be a Factor in
your choice of Antennas.

- It depends on your location and what you want to listen to.
- A 50' random wire is OK for SWL but it has nulls and is
- somewhat weak for MW. A coax matcher and cable
- complicates the installation.

David - The Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
* That is Rigged {Set-Up} as a 15 Foot Vertical by
30 Foot Horizontal Inverted "L" {Low Noise} Antenna
with Coax Cable feed-in-line and remote Ground Rod.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html
* Gives good all-around Shortwave Band reception and
works well on the AM/MW Band Antenna too.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
* It is no more complicated to install then most
small Active Antennas.
* Active Antennas need to be installed properly and
in the right location. Otherwise they can be great
Noise Amplifiers and make Radio Listening a pain.

- I'm away from any strong local signals and get really
- good service out of an MFJ-1024 on my bedroom radio.
- I can hear KOMO 1,000 very reliably every night and
- I'm 3 states away.

David - The MFJ-1024 Active Antenna was on the list
of Active Antennas that I provided.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1132.html
* For many who can not have a very 'visible' Antenna
small Active Antennas like the MFJ-1024 do a very
good job in letting them hear what they want to hear.
* The only feature of the MFJ-1024 that I do not like
is the Telescoping Whip Antenna.
* * I would replace the short Whip Antenna with a
solid CB Whip Antenna mounted on a piece of 21
Foot Top-Rail and 50 Foot of Coax Cable to get it
away from the House and out-side Up-in-the-Air.
* * Small Active Antennas like the MFJ-1024 some
times can be used In-Side the Attic with a Pair of
Perpendicular One-Metre Diamond Wire Loops.

and that's my view from the far side of . . .
the antenna wire - iane ~ RHF