Old July 29th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David Ryeburn David Ryeburn is offline

Default High voltage switch/relays for antenna?

In article .com,
"TF3KX" wrote:

I am contemplating constructing an antenna where a center-fed HALF WAVE
will be bent in a loop, only to be isolated at the almost-touching ends
by a relay or some other means of a remotely controlled switch. When
the relay contacts are open I will have very high RF voltages between
the contacts, probably "a few KV" or even more. Are there any
suggestions on where I could find a relay, if any, for this? Or any
other means for doing this?

I assume that when used on higher frequencies where the antenna is more
than 1/2 wave long, the relay contacts are to be closed.

If that is what you want to do, and if the higher frequency bands are
even multiples of the lower frequency, then you could connect the ends
of the 1/2 wave antenna to a shorted 1/4 wave stub made out of open
wire. At the lower frequency this would place a very high impedance
between the two ends of the antenna, and at even harmonics where the
stub would be an integer number of 1/2 waves long, it would place a low
impedance between the antenna ends. Cheaper than a relay, too.

David, ex-W8EZE

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, use "ca" instead of "caz".