Old July 30th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck Buck is offline

Default grounding question

i don't think tossing goax into a jar would protect you , dunno

but it's good to have a arrestor the good ones have almost not
appreciable loss that you would notice on a scanner

it will protect it from misc static sudden bursts which u might not
unplug fast enough if your luckey

it might reduce staticand improve reception

couldn't hurt i use some arrestors but when i am not using the ant, i
unplug outside the house and ground it it's a choir but i am nutty

the other alternative is radio insurrance pretty cheep for just a
scnnner naturally it would 'protect' humans

best luck

After that incident, I read many articles concerning grounding ham
equipment, the home, the towers and the antennas. They seem to be
different systems, but one thing I learned and most agree on is that
the lightning arrester on the coax needs to be one of the chemical
versions and not a vanilla gap type arrester.

Buck
n4pgw

--
73 for now