Old September 16th 03, 05:46 AM
Telamon

In article ,
(Tim Shoppa) wrote:

H Johnson wrote in message
. ..
If that does not work, and since Radio Shack stuff is normally
readilly available, they sell a Ground LP Isolator (270-0054) that
should do the trick or you can roll your own using their isolation
transformer (273-1374) which is $4.

The problem isn't ground-loop related; the problem is horrible with
even battery-powered receivers plugged into the sound card.
Interference goes from minor before I plug it in, to S9 hash all over
the SW bands after I plug it in.

I already tried isolation transformers. The capacitive coupling
through the isolation transformer (measured to be about 100pF) lets
way too much noise through... the net effect of the isolation
transformer is a very minor improvement. Better grounding on the
receiver side would probably help here, I'm going to drive a rod down
just for the receiver soon.

Perhaps a grounded receiver + an isolation transformer will do the
trick.

If that doesn't do it, it looks like fiber optics will be the
solution.

If you didn't try it use a choke on the ground lead with the isolation
transformer. The ground lead probably let the noise around the
transformer.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California