Old July 31st 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Byung Myung Sying Byung Myung Sying is offline

Default Ten Tec RX-350D discontinued

In the past, I have owned a couple of Drake 7-Line receivers
(including the 4245 along with a Sherwood SE3)), but I have never
enjoyed a receiver as much as my RX-350. While it's sync detector for
shortwave broadcast is pretty badly implemented, it's incredibly
stable and quiet. Instead of using it's sync detector, I simply
employ ECSS (turn on USB or LSB mode) techniques. The results, using
ECSS and the infinitely variable bandwidth controls on both AM and SSB
are pretty amazing. Excellent fidelity, stability, and unsurpassed
ability to cut out adjacent channel interference. I have enjoyed more
broadcast DX from this receiver due to its stability and quietness
than from any other including the 4245 with a full boat of filters.

Despite what Passport says, I would highly recommend this receiver for
its stability, fidelity, DRM ability (if you're into that -- it is
directly interfacable), and ability to reject interference (I live
about a block away from several commercial FM stations and have never
been disturbed when using the RX-350).

Bad things about the RX-350 (mostly due to TenTec's rotten service and
support):

1) TenTec's support has sucked big time. The sync detection could
have been easily fixed in software, but they just didn't seem to care
enough to have had any updates for the past 4 years or so.

2) LCD display fades into black splotches when heated up. TenTec's
rotten "American" service department wanted to charge me for fixing
this under warranty. It was difficult to find anyone at TenTec who
even understood the problem that I was having.

In conclusion, I love the receiver, but TenTec will never get any of
my future business due to their rotten support.

Fred
N8UC -- Oak Park, MI