Old August 1st 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] georgesmn@yahoo.com is offline

Default What portable has best SSB?

WheatBoy wrote:
Anybody who can expand on just the SSB performance of the 1103 against
the Sony 7600GR? I'd like a little portable for mainly listening to 80/40-
meter ham bands.
My DX398 is insensitive off the whip and my B45 is okay but tunes in 5khz
increments,
fine tuning is touchy and seems to drift somewhat. Are the Sony or Degen
any better??

I don't really care about FM or SWBC that much. Besides SSB, I'd use it for
MW stations.

Thanks..

The Kaito KA-1103/1102 are OK for SSB. MW is weak with built-in antenna
due to their small size. The Eton E1 is the best portable, but close to
$500. It has 10 Hz readout & tuning steps so SSB sounds just like AM. I
use a Radio Shack loop that is like the Terk Advantage & get AM/MW
sometimes from Europe, Middle East & Africa. George (MN)