Old August 1st 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards Reg Edwards is offline

Default Seeking advice on balun

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

"Antonio Vernucci" wrote
So, I decided to instead use an RF choke that quenches the common

mode
RF. I firstly built a thick ferrite core by taping together five
3/8"OD ferrite rods, 6-inch long. I then made 10 turns of a very

thick
insulated red-black twin lead on it. The turns are widely spaced, so
as to have low capacitance between adjacent turns.

Congratulations. You have just re-invented the choke balun. It's

what
many people use. It is the best choice. Very often it is wound on

ferrite ring. It has no impedance or turns ratio.

Or it may consist of a number of ferrite sleeves which slide over

the
transmission line.

It is a mistake to use a balun between tuner and transmission line
which has a definite impedance or turns ratio.
----
Reg.

======================================
A further comment -

It may not be obvious, but a number of ferrite sleeves sliding over
the transmissiom line, either coax line or twin line, corresponds to a
single turn of line passing through an elongated ferrite ring.

The formulae for calculating choking inductance, from dimensions and
number of turns, is the same for one ferrite ring and a single or a
number of sleeves.

Obviously, there is more heavy, ferrite material used for sleeves
because the number of turns is only one. But disregarding economics, a
number of sleeves will eventually provide a better very-wide-band
choke than a ferrite ring or a bundle of ferrite rods.

Rich, intelligent, technical perfectionists, using high power, with
plenty of spare time, are the most likely people to win contests.
----
Reg.