Old August 1st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default Another Dallas Lankford article on synch detectors

Hello,

I do not know Dallas Lankford's e-mail address so I should like to make
a comment here in the hope that he will see it (or that someone will
forward it to him).

As a "program listener," I disagree with his overall assessment of
synchronous detection circuits in general as I find that even the
weakest one I own (on the Sony ICF-SW7600GR) is far more useful than
not in making SW (and MW) signals more intelligible and listenable.
However, be that as it may, and we are all entitled to our opinions of
this circuit (and it is obvious that Mr. Lankford knows what he is
doing so I accept and respect his opinion), I must strongly disagree
with his assessment of the AOR AR7030 Plus' synchronous detection
circuit and his characterization of it as being "unacceptable."

He is quite right, of course, when he states that the AOR's sync
circuit often will not lock by itself on a VERY weak AND fast-fading
signal (is there any sync circuit that will?) but there is, in fact, a
"trick" to get it to do so.

I control my AR7030 Plus with Jan Arkesteijn's "RxWings" - a free
computer-control program. As is known, when using the AOR with the
remote or the radio's tuning dial, and changing stations, the sync
temporarily turns off and then relocks (or attempts to) on the new
tuned frequency. If tuning to the type of signal mentioned by Mr.
Lankford, the radio will not re-lock, but, if using "RxWings," the sync
circuit never shuts off.

In other words, all one has to do is to engage the sync lock on any
relatively strong signal and then tune, via "RxWings" to the desired
(very weak and fading) station. The sync circuit will maintain lock.
Indeed, in over two years of ownership, once locked, my particular unit
has NEVER lost lock under any circumstances whatsoever! (Of course I
use the AUTO setting exclusively with the sync.)

I believe that the AOR AR7030 Plus synchronous detection circuit is a
superb one and is one that greatly enhances the listening experience.
At least it does for me!

I hope this is of some use to all in general and to Mr. Lankford in
particular. I also want to thank Mr. Lankford for his excellent and
thought-provoking article. I hope to see more along these lines from
him.

Best,

Joe

wrote:
To add more fuel ot the fi
http://www.kongsfjord.no/dl/Audio/AM%20Synchronous%20Detector%20Experiences.pdf

The date on this addition is July 19, and either it was just placed in
the archive, or I just noticd it. At least it gives us something to
think about.

Terry