Old August 2nd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Newbie Question About GMRS Vs. FRS

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

I will be buying a Midland Two way radio (18 mile version)

My question is this:

.... and is probably most accurately answered by reading the owner's
manual.

http://www.midlandradio.com/owners_manuals.asp seems to be the URL to
use.

The first 7 channels (1-7) which are combined GMRS/FRS...Do those transmit
at Full power or are capped at half a watt because It's FRS too?

If so, does than mean that channels 15-22are true GMRS at full power?

The manual for the GXT600/635/650/656 series indicates that the power
output on channels 1-7 and 15-22 can be set to any of three levels.
Channels 8-14 are locked at the "low" level.

The manual also states that a GMRS license from the FCC is necessary
when using the radio to transmit on channels 1-7 or 15-22.

I read this all as meaning that the radio is capable of full
GMRS-level power output on all of the GMRS-authorized channels (the
shared GMRS/FRS channels 1-7 and the GMRS-only channels 15-22).

It's possible that the radio could be used legally on channels 1-7
without a GMRS license, if the power level were first manually set to
the "low" position, but I'm not certain of that.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO