Old August 2nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Rule of Thumb for coax chokes

Based on some calculations I did today, I am offering
an original rule of thumb (as far as I know). Regarding
a coax choke, when deciding how many turns of coax to put
on a 2 liter pop bottle at two turns per inch, one needs
to avoid the self-resonant frequency. So don't put more
turns on the choke than the number of meters in a wavelength,
e.g. no more than 20 turns on 20m, no more than 6 turns on
6m. Backup calculations will be published on my web page.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp