Old August 2nd 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mcnowinski mcnowinski is offline

Default Tuning SSB on Kaito/Degen 1103

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will give it another try.

Is it normal for me not to hear anything in SSB until I hit near the
"sweet" spot with the BFO control?

Thanks again!

matt

Mike wrote:
In article ,
matt weber wrote:

I have been listening in the 80/75-meter band (3500 to 4000 kHz) and I
can tune in some "Donald Duck"-like voices, but switching to SSB and
fiddling with the Fine Tuning knob seems useless.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Not much you can do. The one advantage a synchronous AM detector has
is that it can be phase locked to whatever is left of the carrier.
Without being able to do that, some amount of phase distortion in the
output of the product detectable is unavoicable unless you go the
Indepedent/quadrature modulated route. There is simply no way to
recover the phase relationships, so some the donald duck sound is a
fact of life with SSB reception.

Unless the 1103 is defective, chances are the OP is just inexperienced.
It takes practice and patience to fine tune SSB signals on a small radio
like this. I have an 1102, and there is definitely a learning curve
involved.

Once you learn it, however, the 1102 is surprisingly capable.

Mike