Old August 2nd 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Donaly Tom Donaly is offline

Default Rule of Thumb for coax chokes

Cecil Moore wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:

Suppose you havn't got a pop bottle but only a length of plastic drain
pipe of different diameter.

Then I use my EXCEL spreadsheet which allows variation
in the number of turns per inch and diameter of the coil.
If you would like a copy, it can be downloaded from

http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/Corum1.xls

You will need a different rule of thumb for every contingency.

2 liter pop bottles are in abundance in the US. If a coil
form is used for a coax choke, that's the most likely.

But then you have to drink 2 liters of wet, sticky, gooey, sickeningly
sweet, soda pop.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH