Old August 2nd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards Reg Edwards is offline

Default Rule of Thumb for coax chokes

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. ..
Reg Edwards wrote:
Why avoid the self-resonant frequency?
That's the frequency at which the choking impedance is a maximum.

Personal preference - I would rather the choking impedance
be at maximum reactance rather than at maximum resistance.
I think that saves a little bit of power.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

But Cecil, maximum resistance, maximum reactance and maximum impedance
all occur at the same resonant frequency.

And at the resonant frequency minimum loss occurs in the choke anyway.
There's negligible loss of power in the choke left to save.
----
Reg.