Old August 3rd 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ken chattenton Ken chattenton is offline

Default Tuning SSB on Kaito/Degen 1103

Hi Matt, all, from Ken in the UK,

Matt, the best way to resolve SSB signals is to listen in the SSB mode, ie,
with the ssb switch on and the fine control set to the centre of it's
travel.
Remember, you must tune very slowly in one KHz steps, no good tuning fast,
you will resolve nothing.
Once you hear a strong ( to start with ) SSB signal then use the fine
control to resolve the speech best to suit your hears and the signal is
understandable.
If you find you can't tune the signal in by means of the fine control then
just adjust the frequency by one KHz one way or the other and try once again
to resolve the audio.
One final point, make sure you are listening on a band that uses SSB solely
( or a mixture of AM and SSB ).
The best band to start with is the 'Eighty Meter' band early in the evening.

If none of the above work then I'm afraid you may have a problem with your
radio.....sorry.

I do hope the above helps, cheers, Ken, G4KIR.

"mcnowinski" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will give it another try.

Is it normal for me not to hear anything in SSB until I hit near the
"sweet" spot with the BFO control?

NO.

Thanks again!

matt