Old September 21st 03, 06:51 PM
Ralph Mowery

I have been told that there is a well-known, simple mod for converting
an old Lafayette SWR & Field Strength Meter (#99-25835) and similar
meters into 2m/70cm SWR/power meters.

Ken-

I don't think a modification is required per se, other than removing the

field
strength antenna. The instruments I'm familiar with are reflectometers,
similar to the design of many wattmeters such as the Bird 43.

The ones I have used in the past seem to work as is on 2 meters for SWR.
They may not be too accurate but will tell you when you get to a low SWR on
2 meters and teh 220 Mhz band. Not too sure how much power they will handle
but seem to work up to 30 watts. They will not work on 440 mhz as the line
is too long.

If the sampling lines are cut down to a shorter length they will probably
work on the 440 mhz band. This I have not tried as I now have Bird and
Struthers meters.