Old August 3rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett Jim Hackett is offline

Default Any recommendations for a sw radio with good sound for outside use?

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear Kurt,

Another "oldie-but-goodie" which might satisfy you, IF you can find one
in good condition at a reasonable price, is the Realistic DX-400/Uniden
CR-2021.

Clear, powerful sound is one of its notable attributes. It features
triple conversion circuitry and is fairly sensitive. It works well off
NiMH rechargeable "C" size batteries. (It is a battery-eater so don't
use it with standard alkaline batteries - the operating cost would be
too high.)

Two other radios should be mentioned, though the price is probably much
more than you want to spend: the Eton E1 (with which I have no
experience, but appears to have all the attributes you desire) @ $500
and the Grundig Satellit 800 (with which I have a great deal of
experience; it has the best sound quality of ANY shortwave receiver
through its internal speaker) available reconditioned (which means as
good as or better than new) @ $430 from Universal Radio.

I hope this information is of some use to you.

Best,

Joe

"best sound quality of ANY shortwave receiver"?????

any that YOU'VE heard.

I can think of a few PORTABLE radios that I have that sound much better than
the Sat 800.
Panasonic RF1150, RF5000, RF3000, RF1600 to name a few. Maybe we define
sound quality different. I am referring to amount of available bass and
treble at the stock speaker...