Old August 3rd 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.shortwave
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default Morris Code -plus- Continuous Wave (CW) Radio Transmission -and- Semaphore Signals ? Do They Defining Amateur Radio ?

The term "lid" may have originated from newbie Morse operators
laying a lid on top of the relay receiver to make it easier to
distinguish the dots from the dashes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

My mother told me stories of learning morse code this way when she worked
for the railroad. She then taught me morse code this way. For twenty yeasrs
after that I always wanted to be a ham and finally got m ylicense at about
age 35. I was fairly active for about 8 years and pretty much lost interest
when my daughter was born. In the last couple of years I have been
sporatially interested again but their alaways seems to be little projects
and interest that pull me away from it.

When I first went to work at tmy present job almost every tech that worked
there was a ham. Just about all of them retired within a few years and nnd
only a couple are still active on the ham bands. They pretty much all say
that they just dont have time for it anymore. This is where ham radio is
going, It is losing out to living.

I havent gotten totally out of it yet and am occasionally involed. Usually
working on an antenna project thinking I will become active again. I have
been asked to assist some girl scouts in getting badges but I am having a
lot of trouble finding scouts that are interested although the requirements
are very minimal