Old August 4th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] sparkysko@gmail.com is offline

Default Help with Antenna

Kryptoknight wrote:
so there is no better ducky antenna than the one that came with this cb ??

any suggestions on a roof mounted thin stainless whip??

Hello!

I was looking into this problem recently too. For the antenna, search
on radioshacks website for "102". You'll find their 102" stainless
antenna. They have an inventory locator on the website which will tell
you which radioshack has it in stock (supposedly). If you have a non
corporate radio shack (they're run semi-independent, and have their own
stuff as well as radio shack stuff), they're more likely to carry the
102" even if the website says they don't have them. CALL AHEAD, it
seems like they just lose their inventory somewhere, and can't find
them when it says they have them (How you lose something that's 9 feet
long, i have NO idea).

Good luck on a roof mount. I've seen some roofmounts, and I believe
some homemade ones. Kinda scary looking. I'm always concerned with the
flex on the sheet metal. My nissan truck roof is tooo thin to mount a
big whip on without a huge supporting washer (like 8 inches+).

You're not really going to find just a thin metal wire antenna that's
not 102". Everything shorter than that is going to have a coil. I also
strongly suggest checking out your local truck stop.

Radio shack mostly only sells a ball mount (the one they have
supposedly sucks, since it doesn't have the 'teeth' to hold the ball in
place well when you attack it, but ball types are one of the
strongest!'. They also have mirror mounts. Which are only really useful
if you have semi mirrors that are held on by metal poles. Or I guess if
you have a roof rack (but then you'd need to get this ground well!).

A compromise that I made is an under hood mount. It's kinda like an L
bracket, so you open your hood, and right under the lip (on your car,
not the hood) you can screw in the mount, These types allow you to have
all the screws hidden below the hood, and the mount sticks up betwteen
the hood crack. Then you can run a wire from this, under your hood, and
through your firewall (usually you have rubber gromets for other wires
already going through your firewall).

The hood mounts are probably not strong enough for a 102" whip.

The other option is magnet mount, with the four 6" magnets. They sell
them online for like 30 or 40$. Those will hold anything. Only problem
with magnet mounts is that they're more likely to pick up vehicle RFI
noise! I picked up my blower motor for my AC, went away the minute I
screwed the antenna into my sheet metal.