Old August 4th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
clfe clfe is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...
Al Klein wrote:
No, you're the one misrepresenting "memorizing answers, as opposed to
memorization per se, is wrong" means "memorizing is evil".

How the heck can someone know that the ohm is the unit
of resistance without memorizing it? How can you possibly
develop Ohm's family name from first principles? I
memorized the ARRL License Manual in the early 1950's
in order to obtain my first two amateur radio licenses.
Memorizing license manuals is absolutely nothing new.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

I "may" be going out on a limb here but I THINK I may have figured out what
Al Klein is speaking of - possibly misrepresenting his line of thinking in
the scope of things - thus causing the confusion.

I THINK his idea of memorization or what he is referring to is as such -
lets say you have someone who wants to pass their ham exam. They buy a
manual and instead of reading the damned thing to LEARN the ins and outs of
ham radio, applicable theory, rules, regulations and so on - they simply try
to memorize each answer which is shown as the right answer - merely by A, B,
C or D. Some clown I knew, tried this - he didn't take into account that the
tests were not always in that order - when it came to the answers.

Am I correct Mr. Klein?

lou/ka3flu