Old August 4th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Al Klein Al Klein is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:58:19 -0400, "clfe"
wrote:

I THINK his idea of memorization or what he is referring to is as such -
lets say you have someone who wants to pass their ham exam. They buy a
manual and instead of reading the damned thing to LEARN the ins and outs of
ham radio, applicable theory, rules, regulations and so on - they simply try
to memorize each answer which is shown as the right answer - merely by A, B,
C or D. Some clown I knew, tried this - he didn't take into account that the
tests were not always in that order - when it came to the answers.

Am I correct Mr. Klein?

To paraphrase Maxwell Smart, you're thiiiiis close. Substitute "the
correct answer to each question" for "A, B ..." and you've got it.
Some things have to be memorized - you can't, as Cecil tells us,
derive laws from first principles - but there's a difference between
"the answer to the question about the oscillator is the .001ufd
capacitor" and learning the basics of a Twin-T circuit.