Old August 7th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
an old freind an old freind is offline

Default any thoughts on recording stuff off HF

Jake Brodsky wrote:
an old freind wrote:
Id ask in a ham gruop but the result would just be more flame I want to
know if anybody jhhas any suggestions as to recrding the received audio
and still listen to it something kind of tells when the rules change we
hams are expecting goes the need to be able to record may something
needed without much warning

If your question was about the legality of recording SW conversations,
keep the following in mind: It is legal to record whatever you receive.
However, depending on what you recorded, it may not be legal to share
what you heard with anyone else.

Generally, the rule of thumb is that broadcast traffic is perfectly all
right to share. All ham radio traffic is legal to share. However,
conversations on the air regarding ship to shore radio telephony or
radiotelegraphy may not be legal to share. You can mention the nature
of what you heard as long as specifics aren't included, but a recording
may not be shared unless it is requested by a local authority.

For example, many years ago I heard a very troubled sailor making a
confession to a priest on ship to shore radiotelephone. If I had a
recording of said confession, I would not be able to share it.

my concern is expecting that I will be ahrrased on the air by other
hams on Hf after code testing ends and I get a licesnse to operate I am
concerned by able to get clear enough recordigot use with the fcc in
that evenet

given that most of the time I try to opperte 6m SSB I get jamed as it
is

DE AB3A