Old August 7th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick Dick is offline

Default Legality of modifying a ham radio to transmit on commercial frequencies

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:32:50 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

In article .com,
"Alex" wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to amateur radio, and there's a debate amoung some of my
friends on whether it's legal to modify a ham radio to transmit on
commercial and CB frequencies. I thought any radio that does transmit
on these non-ham frequencies needs to have some type of FCC
cerification, so modifying a ham radio to transmit on such non-ham
frequencies would be illegal. However, some friends have told me it is
legal to modify a ham radio to transmit on non-ham frequencies as long
as you are authorized to use them and you transmit on those specific
frequencies and on the allowed power.

At my work we have been allocated to use specific frequencies which are
commercial and not within the ham frequency range, and I thought it
would be illegal to modify a handheld ham radio to transmit on these
frequencies. Am I correct?

If so, can someone point me to a website, whether on the FCC's site or
ARRL's site or someplace else that shows this? Again, I assumed it was
not legal to use a modified ham radio on such non-ham frequencies, but
I've heard from others that it is. Just wanted to clear the air.

Thanks --

Alex

Modifying an "ham radio" to operate on a "Commercial Frequency"
with the intent to transmit on that "Commercial Frequency" would
illadvised. Commercial Radio Services like Marine, Aviation, Land
Mobile, Public Safety, ect, REQUIRE that the equipment be
"Type Accepted" by the FCC to be used in the US. Type Acceptance
is designed to make sure the radio in question, meets ALL the
Hardware and Emission Requirements, of the 48CFR Rules for that
Radio Service, which may or may not be different for each Service.
Some Radios may be Type Accepted for multiple Radio Services,
but not in others, depending on requirements of each Service Rules.

Bruce in alaska

A couple of minor points here. The term, "Type Acceptance" has not
been used by the FCC for several years. It is now called,
"Certification."

And make that CFR47, not CRF48 http://wireless.fcc.gov/rules.html

Other than those two points, you are right on target.

Dick - W6CCD