Old August 8th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Woody Woody is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Not true. Hams care much more about saving lives than operating appliances.
I'm betting a great number of them have their CPR cards,
ready for action. Self-cleaning ovens run a sad second place to standing
tall at the 911 center.

On your other point..
Most hams are men and they generally don't know how to operate any appliance
except the refrigerator door,
and maybe the microwave oven. A few are versed in toaster operation, I hear.

However; they will indeed spend hours installing flashy lights and
noisemakers on their cars, as well as
spend hours 'standing by' and preparing for the life-saving moment. They'll
spend grocery money to purchase a
plethora of other "necessary" equipment and "uniforms/ID/look-at-me" items.
Be it weather watching, crowd control, parade control, or just control in
general, hams are standing by to manage the world, after the "big one"....
Hams just like you, Dirk. And for that, I thank you.

I can only pray for peace on these hams as they spend their last days
brushing the fallen hair
from their rigs. Saving countless lives in the aftermath, diligently
tapping away; giving
needed instruction to all the elderly survivors crowded around their
homemade QRP
battery operated rigs..... Oh, and lest we not forget the generator owners
crowded around their swans, drakes and 101e's... burning precious fuel to
strain an ear
for the faint but all-knowing dit-dah that will be their salvation.
I'd bet with a 100w rig pushing a 600-1Kw amp [and a break in the fallout],
they could work weak signal maybe 10-20 miles
through the new noise floor.

As for me, I'll be listening too,
voice, morse and digital.
Coz by that time, the only appliance I'll be operating is that new
one-button rig from GLOCK.
.....and I love ham.

LOL...
btw, trolls suck.

"Dirk" wrote in message
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

:-(