Old August 10th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Al Klein Al Klein is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

On 9 Aug 2006 19:27:57 -0700, wrote:

clfe wrote:

Just to clarify my point - many "assume" a Ham Operator - regardless the
license - KNOWS code. So, if a "No Code" tech simply says "I"M A HAM
OPERATOR" to someone not knowing the license class structure, the
"assumption is made. AND unless that NC tech clarifies it, the unsuspecting
person will go on in ignorance "assuming" ALL hams "know" code. Morse Code
(per my recollection) has always been and most likely - even if only in
history books - always will be known and associated with HAM RADIO.

Heaven forbid that someone assumes that a lowly, unwashed Technician
know the CODE.

Why would you assume that a NO CODE tech knows code?

Many "assume" that an Old Timer knows more than they actually know.

There's a difference between "know" and "proved".

Furthermore, many
"assume" that newcomers to the hobby know little or nothing, and have
no desire to learn.

Most of those are the assumptions of newcomers about the assumptions
of old timers. Most old timers don't make that assumption. We've
been around long enough to have seen different.