Old August 10th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default Drake R8B FS

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Steve wrote:
If Drake doesn't come back into the shortwave market with an R9 or
something like that, then I suspect you'll be surprised at what used
R8Bs will sell for five or six years from now.

Not much. Kenwood R-5000s which IMHO is as good as or better than an R8,
sell for $250-$500 depending upon condition and options. A new in the box
RB will probably sell for $3,000, but a used one will be in the $500
range, possibly less.

Shortwave is a dying hobby, there is no doubt about that. With the FCC
giving the green light to BPL, and the movment of people away from radio
in general, the demand will continue to drop.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Only time will tell, I guess. I agree that BPL does not bode well for
the future. At the same time, I'm not convinced...at least not
yet...that BPL will compete successfully against the other sources of
broadband access out there. Let's hope that it doesn't.