Old August 10th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel David G. Nagel is offline

Default FCC reaffirms BPL...

Bob Miller wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:57:39 -0500, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

K7ITM wrote:

I suppose this news about the FCC rejecting requests to limit BPL is
available other places, but here's a link to one report:

http://www.powerpulse.net/news/story...15762&source=1

Sigh.
Tom

If BPL is so viable why is it only being deployed in metropolitan areas
where Cable and DSL is available. It was sold to the FCC as a cheep way
to provide high speed access to people outside Cable and DSL service
areas. Right now is is in direct competition with those modes and the
country bumpkins are left out again. This situation is similar to when
the major power companies refused to extend their lines out into the
country to farmers. Their excuse was that it would cost to much for each
customer to make money. It took the Rural Electrification Act to create
the REMC power companies. Now the big power companies what to take over
the REMC's.

Dave N

As I understand, repeaters costing many thousands of dollars are
needed every mile or two along the electricity line to shoot the BPL
signal on along. There's not enough population density out in rural
areas to justify the cost.

bob
k5qwg

Bob;

That wasn't mentioned when BPL was first proposed.

Dave

BTW: I'm in the choir....