Old August 11th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
saltydogmn saltydogmn is offline

Default Grundig YB-500 FS - whoa!

safetypro wrote:
Rare YB-500 as new, ALL factory paperwork, manuals, ac adaptor and box.
European model, ROM table. Not a mark. Purchased from a collector.
Attached review for ref:
http://www.geocities.com/grundigradioboy/yb500.htm

Price is $275 + shipping and insurance required to protect buyer and
seller.

Not to rain on your parade, but that price is so far from reality as to
be simply outrageous - even if listed on eBay!

(see listing completed just today)

Furthermore, $275.00 for an average rated (3 stars, as seen here;
http://www.dxing.com/rx/yb400.htm) portable, with only *1* IF
bandwidth, and NO selectable synchronous sideband tuning, is nothing
short of a travesty.

I know I should just keep quiet about this, but I've had 2 of these
rigs in the past, and they're worth nothing more than $100.00 in
today's market - especially when you can get a portable *with* AM
synchronous tuning (the Sony ICF-SW7600GR) for under $150.00 on eBay.
Don't get me wrong; I really enjoyed mine when I had them; but there's
no way they're worth the price you are asking now. Not when you can get
***3*** better rigs - the Degen DE-1103 - for what you're asking for
this (1) old Grundig.

Having said that, I wish you luck - I don't see anyone taking you up on
it, but these days, you just never know.