Old October 13th 03, 12:25 AM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 04:02:45 GMT, Scott Drumm
wrote:

I have a rather odd problem with a J-Pole "copper cactus" antenna that I
just installed this evening. I can transmit and hit local repeaters w/o
any problems w/ an HT on LOW power ( 1.5W) but can't bring up even the
closest repeater on HIGH power (4.5W).

The SWR for the antenna is 1.1:1 to 1.3:1 across the entire 2m band
(direct antenna reading - not w/ the transmitter in the loop) and I've
got a 5-coil balun right at the feedpoint to trap any return RF.

With the transmitter in the loop, try measuring forward and reverse
power at both power levels, low and high.

Bob
k5qwg

Any suggestions? It wasn't my intention to build a QRP rig....

Perplexedly,
Scott Drumm
N3XFD